Receiving Care in the Time of the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic. In light of the highly contagious Delta variant I will only be seeing fully vaccinated individuals at this time. This is in an effort to limit community spread and hardship. If you have the possibility to get vaccinated, please do so – you will be helping to protect not only yourself but the rest of the community as well.
So many things with COVID-19 still remain unclear, but there are some things that we now know: The effects of getting sick from this disease can differ wildly from person to person from some experiencing a mild sickness, or not knowing they are sick at all (asymptomatic), to others for whom this disease is fatal. We also know that many are still dealing with serious health issues weeks even months after having ‘recovered’ or having tested negative for the disease. This virus has created a new population of people referred to as “long haulers”. Visit Survivor Corps to learn more about the health issues this new population is facing.
While I have put much effort into reducing the risk of the transmission of COVID-19, I cannot completely eliminate it. According to the CDC, in addition to folks over the age of 65, the following groups are at an increased risk of severe illness from the virus:
Adults of any age with the following conditions:
- Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
- Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Down Syndrome
- Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies / other cardiovascular issues
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
- Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Overweight (BMI > 25kg / m2, but < 30 kg/m2)
- Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
- Sickle cell disease
- Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes
Please carefully evaluate your personal risk based on the list above (including the risk group of the people you live with and are in close contact with) and whether or not you and other members of your home/ bubble have been fully vaccinated. Please do not assume that if you are not in an increased risk population you are not at risk, especially if you haven’t been vaccinated. There are many cases documenting devastating outcomes for patients who didn’t fall under any of these categories. Also, there may be underlying conditions yet unknown. Please understand that we all are at some degree of risk.
A Word about Vaccinations. While we do know vaccinations are showing to be our best route out of this pandemic, and that they largely protect the vaccinated individual against from getting hospitalized, or dying from Covid, they are still not 100 percent protective. There are cases of breakthrough scenarios with fully vaccinated individuals still contracting COVID. While most of those cases have been mild, and have not required hospitalization, a very small percentage of those cases have resulted in serious illness or death. There are also new variants showing up all the time that take time and real world data to understand how the different vaccines will stand up to them, and so though we know a whole lot more than we did when this pandemic first descended upon us, we still find ourselves still in a state of uncertainty in wading through these ever changing waters.
For the safety of all of us, it is important you cancel your appointment if you have any of the following symptoms or have been in the following situations within 14 days of your appointment:
- fever over 100 F and/or chills
- respiratory issues (shortness of breath, coughing, pain in the chest, pressure in the chest, etc.)
- congestion or runny nose
- sore throat, cough (dry or productive), sneezing
- unexplained muscle or body aches
- gastro intestinal issues (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc.)
- new loss and/or distorted sense of smell or taste
- any new or unexplained symptoms
- traveled internationally or to any areas of high infection rates in the past 14 days
- been diagnosed with or exposed to someone who has COVID-19 in the past 14 days
My cancellation policy is not in effect during the pandemic so there will be no charge for a missed appointment as long as you let me know you will not be able to make your appointment. If you are in doubt whether you should come in or not, please err on the side of caution and reschedule your appointment.
Prepare Ahead for your Appointment:
- Paperwork Before your first appointment back, you must fill out the two forms linked below. The first form is the Informed Consent for treatment you will need to fill out one time before your first session during the pandemic. If you are a new client, you will also need to fill out a New Client Intake Form. Lastly you will need to fill out a Daily Screening Form. I will send this form to you within 24 hours of your appointment and you can fill it out on-line. I personally must also pass this daily screening!
- At this time practitioners and guests, whether you have been vaccinated against COVID19 or not, MUST wear properly fitted masks (not gators) the entire time they are in the wellness center, including throughout the session. Find information about the current vaccines here. If you forget your mask or if it doesn’t fit properly, I will provide one for you to put on before entering the wellness center. You can find guidelines here about how to choose and wear your mask.
- The waiting room at the wellness center is closed for the time being. I will let you know via text / phone when it is your turn to come in for your session and will meet you at the door; if you don’t have a phone, I’ll meet you out front within 5 minutes previous to our scheduled time.
- Please come freshly showered to your appointment with clean clothes and avoid stopping by crowded places such as grocery stores, post offices, etc., before your appointment. Warm layers are a good idea as the window will be open to assist with ventilation. I will also have a hepa air purifier running throughout the day.
- All cancellation fees will not be imposed at this time, but no-shows (not letting me know you are unable to make it) will still be charged the full price of the session as usual.
- Information about COVID and the vaccines change frequently and these protocols may be amended to adapt to those changes.
Re-opening and Closing:
I will continue to be mindful of the county and nearby county metrics for case numbers and will open and close the studio when appropriate. This means your appointment may be canceled at short notice if the county parameters are not met. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Please know that the well-being of you, your family, and our community and collective communities is at the heart of all of these protocols. This disease is not something to take lightly and for many the repercussions are grave and long lasting.
These are not uncomplicated times, and this outline mirrors that reality. Many of you will feel it is not time to come back for care – please know I completely respect, support and fully understand that decision! Please take another deep breath and know that all things are temporary, including global pandemics. I leave you here with words of wisdom from one of my favorite poet/farmers of all time:
The peace of wild things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
— Wendell Berry